BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Possible new project  (Read 2047 times)

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Re: Possible new project
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 12:57:38 PM »

It's all about knowing your limits. Anything could happen but we're a good group at doing our best mitigating the risk.

very true.

I think our group does a damn good job at pushing the limits safely and without much damage.

one thing i've learned so far is that you guys seem to know the limits of my jeep better than i do. The feel in the seat is always alot worse than from spotting. My main purpose of this is to get something that is i do flop it or bang into a tree i wont care. If i break it beyond an easy repair i've always got my 4 door to fall back on until i get it up and going. Im going to go check it out tonight and look at it. My main thing is that the frame is good. That will give me something solid to build off of. Anything else i need to look out for?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 01:02:28 PM by tcdawg »

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »
Is the bolt pattern the same for front and rear?  You don't have to answer, but that would be key for me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »
Is the bolt pattern the same for front and rear?  You don't have to answer, but that would be key for me.

thats one thing i will look for.

Online patman

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »
Looks like the rear of the frame was cut off and raised to accommodate the 4 link. Check the front leaf brackets and motor mounts for any cracks where they attach to the frame. Easy to fix, you just don't want them to get worse

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »
Going to trail only rig is a good idea. You could always buy something and upgrade to a different rig along the way until you get where you want. Building will cost more than buying.

Ripping control arm mounts and bending body frame mounts are all possible on a jeep. What about rolling it? Stuff happens. Body armour or not, body damage will occur.

It's all about knowing your limits. Anything could happen but we're a good group at doing our best mitigating the risk.
Yea, you are correct. Not exactly what I was referring to

I'm referring to that rock that your tub finds when you slide off a line on accident. That tree that eats a top or dents the windshield frame. I would rather wheel and not worry about body damage. Would rather go out and have fun then worry about denting the body or something to that efdect. 
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
Waggy 44s with chromos are pretty stout.  I think they'd hold up to 37 reds and a 4.0 engine just fine.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2016, 02:59:15 PM »
Here is my thought also. If they are red labels then right there is a good chunk of change for just tires. Supposedly the axles were just put in this thing when the new owner (who i know) purchased it. I don't know any details though as far as what shafts they have or gearing or lockers. Hopefully just welded. If the motor is decent then there is another quality item to add to the list. Also i know from purchasing propane tanks for our forklift that they go for around 200 each.

Offline Mortalis5509

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2016, 03:36:26 PM »
Waggy 44s with chromos are pretty stout.  I think they'd hold up to 37 reds and a 4.0 engine just fine.
I agree. I took rubi axle with rcv shafts on 37" reds and lived just fine. Wasn't very nice sometimes.
Go DAWGS

Skinny Pedal Racing

Online clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 03:51:23 PM »
Here is my thought also. If they are red labels then right there is a good chunk of change for just tires. Supposedly the axles were just put in this thing when the new owner (who i know) purchased it. I don't know any details though as far as what shafts they have or gearing or lockers. Hopefully just welded. If the motor is decent then there is another quality item to add to the list. Also i know from purchasing propane tanks for our forklift that they go for around 200 each.
Those aren't red labels, blue labels, or black labels..they're km2s.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline jc79

• Visitor
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 03:52:47 PM »
I still think about buying and building an LJ myself ... the grass is always greener on the other side.

Sometimes the grass looks greener because it is...... like when you walk into your garage and see an LJ!    //SLAMIN//

@lt99ls1
@Jeepster1407
@Jeeptrk
@tcdawg
Jared

2004 TJ Unlimited (LJ)

Online Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 03:55:21 PM »
Those aren't red labels, blue labels, or black labels..they're km2s.

i will find out for sure tonight but they look an awful lot like krawlers to me.

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
Pics look like Krawlers to me as well.

As for the propane, there's no need to carry two large tanks like that.  One large and a small to get back to camp to swap out.  Remove one and there's room to modify for a child seat.  There are lots of propane buggies around that work well.  Can't say I've seen any on Jeep engines --- more on Toys.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM