BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Possible new project  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
Possible new project
« on: August 03, 2016, 04:12:20 AM »
Hey guys. Please see the link below and let me know if y'all think the jeep would be worth it. I've found every time I go out I am dragging my 4 door over progressively harder stuff and I'm going to eventually get some form of damage. I figure I can get something cheap and wheel it and upgrade as I go. Take a look at the link and let me know what you think.http://nwga.craigslist.org/cto/5664267369.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:13:21 AM by Anvilsam »

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
Re: Possible new project
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 04:48:45 AM »
I think you will have so much more capability, and less financial risk, with that rig...but it's a project jeep for sure;  He has already mentioned the steering and brakes...what else looms. 

If not that rig, I'd definitely find another rig to build if you want to do hard blues or blacks. 

The creature comforts will go away, so you may lose the wife on future trips.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline cru9

• Nautical Wizard
  • Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:48:06 AM »
Looks like a lot a wrench time in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bobby

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 06:44:19 AM »
I think you will have so much more capability, and less financial risk, with that rig...but it's a project jeep for sure;  He has already mentioned the steering and brakes...what else looms. 

If not that rig, I'd definitely find another rig to build if you want to do hard blues or blacks. 

She's country so I think she would be fine. First thing would be to fix any known issues before I take it out then change the cage so we can put a single seat for saydee back there. I also think if it's not just falling apart I could wheel it and just upgrade as I brake. Shoot I could prob fully build this thing for what it would cost to put tons under my 4 door.

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:01:25 AM »

She's country so I think she would be fine. First thing would be to fix any known issues before I take it out then change the cage so we can put a single seat for saydee back there. I also think if it's not just falling apart I could wheel it and just upgrade as I brake. Shoot I could prob fully build this thing for what it would cost to put tons under my 4 door.
Oh, hell, then get it; Country girl don't care...lol!

It looks like you'll have to muck with going back to a carbed engine, if I'm seeing things correctly.  You definitely want to upgrade to fuel injection if you pull the propane to make room for Saydee.

Then you have the situation where you're kind of stuck on 37s max due to the axles...which I'd be surprised if that would satisfy you long term, especially for a trail dedicated rig.

"I" would pass on this particular rig, and plan to get an old rig "i" could ton and 40, that had fuel injection, and room for the family.  Oh, air conditioning would be a must, for southeast wheeling, for me...but I'm old and fat!

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:08 AM »
I've also looked on daveys jeeps and they have later model tjs w all you mentioned for around the same price. Then I could build it how I want

Offline clark123456

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »
I've also looked on daveys jeeps and they have later model tjs w all you mentioned for around the same price. Then I could build it how I want
That's the path I'd go..if you can't find an LJ. 

The other thing to consider is whether you want it to be street worthy (tagged).  If you're not in an emissions county, then I'd get whatever you want, but if you're in an emissions county, and you're not getting an LJ, then consider a YJ with the 4.0l.  The manual transmissions aren't great in the YJ, though, relative to the TJ ax15.

Clark
1998 TJ Sahara

Online Cannonballkev

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:26 AM »
If you look on the Georgia Trail Riders Facebook page, someone has this for sale $6500 obo
For sale 1980 cj5 Laredo 304 v8 4 speed 4 in lift 34 x 10.50 15 tires 411 gears with lockers chromoly axels power steering and breaks 6500 obo
Get dirty, or get off the trail!

Offline Raisinhead

• Paco De Gallo
  • GATR STAFF
    • TJay Build Thread
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:27 AM »

Oh, hell, then get it; Country girl don't care...lol!

It looks like you'll have to muck with going back to a carbed engine, if I'm seeing things correctly.  You definitely want to upgrade to fuel injection if you pull the propane to make room for Saydee.

Then you have the situation where you're kind of stuck on 37s max due to the axles...which I'd be surprised if that would satisfy you long term, especially for a trail dedicated rig.

"I" would pass on this particular rig, and plan to get an old rig "i" could ton and 40, that had fuel injection, and room for the family.  Oh, air conditioning would be a must, for southeast wheeling, for me...but I'm old and fat!

So basically you're saying for him to keep wheeling the JKU. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 07:19:18 AM »
I'd check the welding on the cage pretty closely. 
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tcdawg

• Anthony Smooth
  • GATR STAFF
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »
Hard to beat that price for a rig that is ready to play with. 

Seeing as you are looking at it as a project, I don't think it would be a bad start if you are looking for a trail only rig.

If those are red lable Krawlers, those Waggy 44's probably won't last long but the sooner they go, the sooner you can upgrade.

Shoot I could prob fully build this thing for what it would cost to put tons under my 4 door.

This is true and something I think about all the time, which is why I have a serious hardline/pirate classified ad dependency.  Upgrading the JKU with big axles sure does make it capable, with all the creature comforts, but damn it comes with a price tag.

Offline Anvilsam

• Rowdy
  • Visitor
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 07:41:36 AM »
Hard to beat that price for a rig that is ready to play with. 

Seeing as you are looking at it as a project, I don't think it would be a bad start if you are looking for a trail only rig.

If those are red lable Krawlers, those Waggy 44's probably won't last long but the sooner they go, the sooner you can upgrade.

Shoot I could prob fully build this thing for what it would cost to put tons under my 4 door.

This is true and something I think about all the time, which is why I have a serious hardline/pirate classified ad dependency.  Upgrading the JKU with big axles sure does make it capable, with all the creature comforts, but damn it comes with a price tag.

i would really like to find a fully built and stretched tj that somebody needs to get out of for around 8 to 10. That would be ideal but those are few and far betweeen. I don't really care to ever drive this on the street as it would eventually be full hydro and super flexy suspension. It is a good price if i could go out and wheel it for a while and as i find a good deal on parts start building it up. What gets me though at that point im basically paying 3500 to 4000 for a frame and a beat up body. The roll cage would def get replaced as saydee would need a safe place to ride. Hopefully i could get the propane tanks moved around to make room for her seat (is that even safe?)to go in between them.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM