BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Borken Jeep  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
Borken Jeep
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »
I woke up early this morning so I thought I would come into work early! Went out got in the jeep, started it up and put it drive and it didn't move an inch. Tried to put it back in park and it won't back so now my key is stuck in the ignition as well. I didn't have time to mess with it this morning but I'm guessing that the linkage fell off on the bottom of the shifter. Because when I tried to shift into the other gear their was absolutely no resistance on the shifter and nothing was moving. So hopefully, when I get home this afternoon I can just pop up the console and look down inside there and fix it.
Chuck & Sherry

*GET OUT OF KEVIN'S YARD*

nashirak

Re: Borken Jeep
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
Isn't it funny how the smallest things can cripple us like that? And it always seems to occur at the best/worst times?

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:41:54 AM »
Borken huh? :D Sounds like linkage.
I've grown tired of this.

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
I hope you get your BORKEN Jeep fixed tonight!  lol....  I hate it when my jeep is borken. 

How did it tow to MiYami?

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
I hope you get your BORKEN Jeep fixed tonight!  lol....  I hate it when my jeep is borken. 

That trailer did great! Ran at 70 mph on cruise control ;D
Chuck & Sherry

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:26:30 AM »

That trailer did great! Ran at 70 mph on cruise control ;D

{toast}

Offline Will

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
I woke up early this morning so I thought I would come into work early! Went out got in the jeep, started it up and put it drive and it didn't move an inch. Tried to put it back in park and it won't back so now my key is stuck in the ignition as well. I didn't have time to mess with it this morning but I'm guessing that the linkage fell off on the bottom of the shifter. Because when I tried to shift into the other gear their was absolutely no resistance on the shifter and nothing was moving. So hopefully, when I get home this afternoon I can just pop up the console and look down inside there and fix it.

Don't rip that console apart just yet, you will find that there's just a cable until you get to the transmission. The auto tranny linkage bolts to the driver's side of the transmission down there. I'm 99% sure from the shift handle to the tranny it's just a cable. On the side of the tranny the bracket has 2 bolts in it, but I doubt those backed out. There is a stainless post about an inch in diameter that comes out of the tranny and that is what the linkage actually turns to change the gears in inside. There is a ring around that post which is connected to the cable form the shifter. Most likely that ring has come loose and is not turning the post anymore. There should be a small bolt you can tighten to re-seat it. Make sure that the corresponding flat side on both the ring and post match up and you may wanna throw a dab of loc-tite on there.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.
Will and Amber

White JL Rubicon

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 04:13:38 PM »

Don't rip that console apart just yet, you will find that there's just a cable until you get to the transmission. The auto tranny linkage bolts to the driver's side of the transmission down there. I'm 99% sure from the shift handle to the tranny it's just a cable. On the side of the tranny the bracket has 2 bolts in it, but I doubt those backed out. There is a stainless post about an inch in diameter that comes out of the tranny and that is what the linkage actually turns to change the gears in inside. There is a ring around that post which is connected to the cable form the shifter. Most likely that ring has come loose and is not turning the post anymore. There should be a small bolt you can tighten to re-seat it. Make sure that the corresponding flat side on both the ring and post match up and you may wanna throw a dab of loc-tite on there.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Will - Unfortunately, you are probably right on the money and I was hoping to avoid crawling underneath the jeep - it's cold here and I'm just not that interested in dropping my belly pan to get to it......................
Chuck & Sherry

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »
 {boohoo}
I've grown tired of this.

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
{boohoo}

Dang it Ben, and to think I've always been nice to you! Well  {nln} no no, wait a minute, here you go  {nln} {nln}
Chuck & Sherry

mdo817

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
Cold?  {nln2}

Offline Trailabite

• GATR STAFF
  • Need more parts!
    • Trailabite
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 07:14:49 PM »
Cold?  {nln2}

Ok ok, it's not freezing or snowing but it cold down here in Miami believe it or not! The state has already called for an Emergency Freeze Fund for the farmers here. I know yada yada yada....... {boohoo} {boohoo}
Chuck & Sherry

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM