BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ride levels...teirs 1-3  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Calvin

• Visitor
Re: Ride levels...teirs 1-3
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »
Its been said in one way or another a couple times here, but I think the biggest concern with this debate is seat time. Having a caged out XJ on full widths and 36s doesn't make me a better wheeler than having my old XJ on 32s and a locked front. It does open doors as to larger and more dangerous obstacles, but without experience it is just that. What has made me a better wheeler is that seat time, listening to your spotters and those that have been there before, and putting those things into practice.
98 XJ

Offline Do Work 93 YJ

• Visitor
  • Ready To Ride
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 10:33:30 AM »
I agree with most everything said already about it being more about your driving experience and not your rig setup. Though that goes into play with common sense too meaning hopefully nobody would plan on going on a tier 3 ride in a straight of the lot none equiped jeep. I think a good way to look at if your ready for a tier 3 ride is to ask yourselve would you feel comfortable enough to lead your family and friends on a more extreme ride and beable to guide,spot,fix,and treat them to an exciting time. If your not sure just leave the rig at home on the first one and hop in the seat with someone else and get a feel for it. {toast}
Do Work Aka Moon Man. What you lack in technique make up in throttle! Or a set of cheater tires.

My Build Threads
http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=3683.msg62464#msg62464

http://www.gatrailriders.com/GTRForums/index.php?topic=6862.0

ranger11

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »
I need a seat so I can figure out how to wheel.  {toast}

Offline Calvin

• Visitor
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
I need a seat so I can figure out how to wheel.  {toast}

Me too. The jeep is currently seatless...
98 XJ

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 10:40:22 AM »
you really do, its been like 3 years since you've driven that danger-ranger  {hihi}

NOS/86

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 08:58:09 AM »
I'm pretty sure I ride level 3 95% of the time .  Guess what with .....a xj with a d30 up front and a 8.8 in the back with 36's .  I feel it's at least 75% driver and 25% rig . 

before anyone starts running me down the road ...i ride with (lt99ls1 , zukbilly , etc ) ok ..thats tons , 40's and a buggy on 42's .   

YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOUR RIG WILL DO AND HOW TO FIX IT ON THE TRAIL !  WITH PARTS TOOLS ON HAND !

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:48 AM »
and how to roll it  {hihi}

Offline Alex

• Visitor
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »
I have a Tacoma on 31's but i don't have those locker things but i have a winch.....can i ride teir 3?

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »
I have a Tacoma on 31's but i don't have those locker things but i have a winch.....can i ride teir 3?
  :o , ok , this is getting silly, -- common sense guys, teir 3-  would you go through Rathole? , and i dont mean, "ill try to pull in" , and get stuff on the first rock  --- come on, im going to be rolling teir2 alot, jsut because its more people and more fun with friends, teir 3 will be with the big boys, and im sorry to say probly will be mainly 1 ton guys- ones who want to go out and hammer hard - slamming into sthit--- trails like 1410, ........... im on tons/40's/doubled/full hydro/and mosty hung over=---- and IMO- i still cant hang with what i would concider and real teir 3 - i dont care if you been crawling 40 years like Mark has, if your not built your not going to make it!

Offline rabunjeeper

• Visitor
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
 {agree}

BigJerm

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »
I think Alex was just kidding....

I have no discussed this with mods but it is pretty easy to figure out:

Tier 1 is forest road type stuff where 4x4 is probably needed but air down / disco isnt. Slow pace, learning, getting to put your vehicle in 4x4, lots of stops.

Tier 2 is like most off road parks EXCEPT the crazy trails as mentioned by drich like Rathole. This is where the big guys and beginners can mix, ride seperate trails but be at the same park (or ride the same trails depending on group size). 4x4 LOW, air down, disconnecting the sway bar all would be a great idea, lockers, off road tires, lift, armor, ect all would be better.

Tier 3: You should have a trailer, a rig you don't mind taking body damage on, armor, lockers, driver skill, parts, skills to fix those broken parts the list goes on but the normal DD / weekend warrior rig isnt going to make this ride without a lot of work.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »
^^^I somewhat understood Ryan's post!! Good summary Jeremy... {toast}

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM