BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Ride levels...teirs 1-3  (Read 2063 times)

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
Ride levels...teirs 1-3
« on: February 25, 2011, 07:13:45 AM »
I see we have set some minimums on this matter but my question is this.
I have 35s
Locked f/r
pull points f/r
winch
But axles such as 35 and 30.
I know these are NOT by far the most suited for hard core #3 but are you placing restrictions on the axle due to lower ability vs. max performance?
Use our own judgement?
How do you guys see this?
I've been wheeling since...Hmmm...1964 so have some experience to know what I can and can't and what I should or should NOT do.
Just wanted clarity plz.
The road to prosperity should not be be paved with
 those who are in your way but by the helping of those along the way.

Offline drich394

• Visitor
Re: Ride levels...teirs 1-3
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
not to rain on parades--- but i would say for people to ride with teir 3 and not go home with snaped axle tubes, or holding others up on trails due to snaped safts-they should have at least D44 and up-
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:30:19 AM by drich394 »

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
Certainly not raining on my parade...! {toast}
Those are the same points I was hoping to bring to light.
In my humble opinion the statements you espoused are  a point of conversation the decision makers may wish to address as part of the parameters just as important as all other aspects.
I would NOT do all the things that Mark or Ryan would attempt for obvious reasons.
I would not enjoy the weakest link status to tie up those who came to hammer down so to speak!

ranger11

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:31:18 AM »
Why 44s have the same axle ujoint as a 30? They said you must be able to keep up and have the experience.  {toast}

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
well , buy CTM's - the rear is def. better than a C-clipped D35

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 08:34:59 AM »
I hear you guys, and this is a tough one. it's all about driver capability, and style.  We like to call it finesse.

We have all seen the stock Jeep with Mud Terrains open-open trying to get up a a small rock laden hill with rpms up about 5000, and a tire lands and snap. 

We all know Ben, and are sick of hearing about him  :D, but he takes on some of the hardest obstacles on 33's locked front and rear Dana 30 and 35 with a super 35 kit.  He has serious clutch driving krawling skills, and I've done some hard trails with him, and seen him take his time and work an obstacle, even slippery nipple last weekend, until he gets up it without a winch, and never bounces or revs it high.  I've met others like him as well.

THIS IS WHAT WE WILL BE TEACHING.

So I think we could go to a 44 minimum, and exceptions can be made by the Staff, or ride leader, as he wishes, based on our knowledge of driver skills.  We could all approve Ben today, and a few more of you, but if you are running 37's on a Dana 30 and are known for breaking joints, maybe you're not ready to be  in tier 3.

Sound reasonable?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:37:55 AM by Doug »

Offline wideload

• Visitor
  • Proud Dad!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 08:57:22 AM »
Does to me...!
I just think that the validity of not holding a whole group attempting to do what their set up is designed for is NOT bogged down by someone who wishes or just thinks they can be a big toy follower.

Being hospitable to fellow off roaders is one thing but knowingly placing a possible hardship case on the backs of others to bolster your ego or wanna be staus is wrong.
I for one would just suggest that certain trails and their rates of difficulty be limited for less capable units using reasonable consideration for others and the safety of those in question.
This just makes sense to me in knowing what is at stake!
Just my $00.02..... {boohoo}

Offline drich394

• Visitor
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 09:06:43 AM »
 iws  {salute}

BigJerm

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 09:09:33 AM »
I think driver skill is more than the rig! I use to follow a lot of people in a 2dr JK on 35's, 2.5" of lift open/open. I also went plenty of places in a 4dr rubicon with only 2.5" of lift. Lockers, 37's, low gears, suspension travel doesn't do you much good if you cant pick a line.

Offline Matt

• Visitor
    • Georgia Trail Riders
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
I say minimun 2 lockers & 33s. Axles muddy the water a bit. I think this is where experience comes in. When I had the D35, I did not leave the house with out spare shafts, RTV, & lube. I also knew how to do the repair myself. So I could lay on my back for a couple hours while everyone else still could go ride. If you dont know how to do your own repairs and dont come prepared, then you might not be quite ready for Tier 3. Experience is a big part of those rides. I would say ride Tier 2, gain some more experience, techniques, stay behind & help some people get fixed on the trail, before you decide to step up.
Matt, Jessica, Aleigha (4), Gavin (1)

1999 Wrangler TJ
*With modifications

My '99 TJ Build

matt@gatrailriders.com

Offline Krawler00

• absent
  • C.O.R.E MEMBER
  • Psalm 40:2
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:53 AM »
These are all good points and good questions. I have ridin with alot of people and have seen it all. We used to have a guy on here named Travis who made slickrock open open in an xj on 33's! He was a great driver. Now, to me, it should be based alot on driver skill and their accomplishments. I have also wheeled with guys who say they are locked f/r and know how to wheel make completed fools out of themselves! I am a firm beliver, no matter how well your rig is built, you need to learn how to drive 1st! Now, I am not saying I can do anything as I am limited by my set up. I can't get up rattlerock or get thru the lions den at Harlan! Would I try them, no! I know my rigs capabilities and each one of us here needs to find that out on there own. This group we are forming will help you to do just that. Learn how to wheel properly without killing someone, yourself and your rig and learn your breaking points. For some, a 20% side slope may be poop in the pants time, while others a 45% is a walk in the park! We will not classify anyone here but you had better know your rig, the capabilities of it and your limits before you get into to something over your head.  {toast}

Doug  {nln}
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 10:13:03 AM by Krawler00 »
I've grown tired of this.

ghostdancer308

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:31 AM »
...putting aside your ego as well. I have video of Ben spotting me back on a Tellico trip. Listen to your spotter, they see  more than what you do from the outside looking in. Funny thing, I drive all the time here in bad situations. I know by personal experience, I don't get enough stick and seat time off road. Rig is one thing, experience will win in the end...

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM