BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

Author Topic: Winches...which one?  (Read 1885 times)

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
Winches...which one?
« on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
Opinions wanted. I am fixing to purchase a winch and am looking at either the Engo E9000 or the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500. I am on a budget so I can't afford a $1000 Warn. I just wondered if anyone has either one of these and if they are a decent winch for the $300 range.

Looked at the Badlands from Harbor Freight but have read mixed reviews on that one so I may stay away from it.

Offline ranier1315

• Visitor
    • Flameshots Photography
Re: Winches...which one?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 10:58:47 PM »
I can't speak for the Superwinch but I have an Engo..... You get what you pay for. Build quality isn't great but it was worked so far. They did replace the first one I bought under warranty due to the motor quit working so at least the warranty was OK. I'm just glad I wasn't two miles in on a big rock climb and really needed the winch.

Take this for what it is. An opinion. You could buy a $ 1000 warn and get a lemon also.
Marc, Tracy, Jordan, and Tyler Allen

"Some women are like scooters, you have fun ridding them, you just wouldn't want your buddies to see you ridding them......" - A very wise man.

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:02:55 PM »
That is surprising. I have read good reviews on the Engo. I guess anything in the $300 range is a crap shoot?!

Offline 94xjsport94

• Visitor
  • Cherocar
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:12:46 AM »
I paid $285 shipped for my rugged ridge 8.5k 2 years ago. It's been good to me for ~20 pulls.  You won't find one for ~$300 with synthetic rope. With that being said, buy synthetic rope with your winch. Steel cable is heavy, a pain in the ass to pull, kinks when spooled over itself, and is unpredictable when it breaks. Yes it will get you out of a bind, but synthetic is what you'll end up with eventually might as well start with it.
Will

94 seXj

Offline kvom

• Visitor
  • Kirk
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »
My Engo died after 3 pulls and after warranty expired. Seemed that seal around motor leaked.  No more Chinese cap for me.
00 TJ  stuff
02 F250 CC LB 7.3 tow pig
18 Honda CRV
12 Chrysler 200 - Wife's car

Offline tjsahara00

• GATR STAFF
  • Staying on the porch now days!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:21:05 AM »
I have a Superwinch EPi9 and it's
been a workhorse! Never one issue
in 3 1/2 years. Probably around 2
dozen pulls.

If I ever buy another winch I would
buy Superwinch again.
Kevin Pool
2016 JKU Sport
2000 TJ Sahara (RIP)

Offline DOUG

• Visitor
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »
I've had 3 if the Suoerwinch epi9 and they are awesome, but they may not be available any more.  They were built in the states and they are quite a bit more money.  I would take a chance on their low cost winch because they stand being their products.

Offline lt99ls1

• C.O.R.E MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:22 AM »
I have had countless pulls with my xrc8 and it has never let me down. 
Larry

05 LJ
20 BabyMax

Offline jgerhard

• Visitor
  • Grind Fresh Daily
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 09:00:19 AM »
I've read about some forum members lose out on the lower priced winches pretty bad, as in totally stuck in mud, pull out the winch and its non functional on the third use. 

At the price point you want, you may wish to look at the warranty of the product more, and the store you buy it from, if they will give you an immediate replacement.  I would go with a local shop that has a direct relationship with Rugged Ridge.  Rugged Ridge is local and has pretty strong warranties so take a look.  Handling synthetic rope is much easier as well.  That said there are people running on Smittybilt and RR winches for a long time so ....

Price for value I would try to find a used Warn M8000, but thats very hard to find.
Jonathan, Wendy, Avery Lee, Brann

2011 JKU
2001 XJ

Offline mrmike1964

• Visitor
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »
I have had a warren 9500 winch for the last 14years and have used it a lot a real lot! I would save your money and ride with the club till you have enough for a good one. If you spend the money for a good one you will never have to replace it.  JMO
Mike

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
I've had 3 if the Suoerwinch epi9 and they are awesome, but they may not be available any more.  They were built in the states and they are quite a bit more money.  I would take a chance on their low cost winch because they stand being their products.

That model is not available anymore. I think the Tiger Shark took it's place. Sounds like the same design though from what I read.

Offline jeepjunky68

• Visitor
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
Well that's two for Rugged Ridge. I will check them out. Sounds like Engo is out. I saw the Smittybilt and wondered if they were any good.

I agree with you mrmike, but even if I saved up that kind of money I am not sure I could part with it on a winch. Seems like a ton of money to spend on something you use every now and then. At the same time, when you need it to work....you don't want to find out your winch took a dump on you.

BECOME A CORE MEMBER HERE

CHECK OUT OUR CLUB WEBSITE

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK

JOIN US ON INSTAGRAM